This course has been developed by the Interagency Security Committee (ISC) and is being hosted by EMI. All questions or comments about this course should be directed to the following email address: [email protected]
Levels of Protection (LOP) and Application of The Design-Basis Threat (DBT) Report is the fourth course in the ISC Web-based training series. The purpose of the series is to provide Federal facility security professionals, engineers, building owners, construction contractors, architects, and the general public with basic information pertaining to the ISC and its facility security standards, processes, and practices. The purpose of this For Official Use Only course is to provide Federal personnel with responsibilities for security-related policies, programs, projects, and/or operations for their department or agency an overview of the process to determine the appropriate level of protection (LOP) for a Federal facility.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This course is designated as FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (FOUO) because it contains sensitive but unclassified information. The Homeland Security Information Network for Critical Infrastructure (HSIN-CI) Interagency Security Committee (ISC) community of interest portal serves as the primary mechanism with which ISC stakeholders exchange information during active and steady-state operations, at both the For Official Use Only and non-sensitive levels. The portal, managed by the ISC within the Office of Infrastructure Protection / U.S. Department of Homeland Security, promotes effective information collection and dissemination among sector partners in Federal, State, and local agencies, as well as the private sector. The portal provides trusted and vetted public and private representatives, including critical infrastructure owners and operators, access to a number of resources, including sector-specific training courses. For more information about HSIN-CI, visit https://www.dhs.gov/hsin-critical-infrastructure
To be considered for access to this FOUO training course, users with a need-to-know may request access to the course by sending an e-mail to [email protected] with your full name and contact information, including email, agency name, and reason for access.
- Must complete the course from within the Homeland Security Information Network-Critical Infrastructure (HSIN-CI) ISC portal.
- Will return to this page to complete the final exam in order to receive credit. You may want to bookmark this page so that you can easily return to this page when you are ready to take the exam.
Course Access Instructions
- Go to IS-1173: Levels of Protection (LOP) and Application of the Design-Basis Threat (DBT) Report on HSIN
- At the HSIN-CI login page, enter your HSIN-CI member credentials, then click on the Log In button.
- You will then be redirected to the course start page.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Explain how the Facility Security Level (FSL) determines the baseline Level of Protection (LOP).
- Explain the risk assessment methodology.
- Define the five levels of protection identified in the Risk Management Process.
- Explain how the DBT supports the Risk Management Process.
- Describe the elements of each undesirable event.
- Understand levels of protection.
- Define risk acceptance and the necessary documentation.
This course is designed for and access is limited to Federal personnel with responsibilities for security-related policies, programs, projects, and/or operations for their department or agency.
- IS-1170 Introduction to the Interagency Security Committee
- IS-1171 Overview of Interagency Security Committee (ISC) Publications
- IS-1172 The Risk Management Process for Federal Facilities: Section 4 – Facility Security Level (FSL) Determination
- IS-1174 Facility Security Committees