FEMA IS 144: Telecommunicators Emergency Response Taskforce (TERT) Basic Course Answers
1. As a telecommunicator, adaptability and flexibility are key considerations in working effectively in disaster areas.
2. Using humor is one stress reliever that is always appropriate when working in disaster areas.
3. Which of the following communication types best describes an individual that expresses his or her thoughts, feelings, and impressions in a direct and inappropriate manner, while violating the rights and respect of others?
4. A characteristic of active listening involves the listener stopping the speaker and asking questions to ensure a clear understanding of the message.
5. When you are working in a disaster area, it is common to work with different types of first responders.
6. Which of the following is NOT a sign or symptom of stress when working in a disaster area?
B. Inability to concentrate
7. Which of the following characteristics best describes a telecommunicator that is an active and effective listener?
A. Paraphrases and uses feedback.
B. Formulates an instant response.
C. Frequently corrects the speaker.
D. Over-exaggerates emotions and nonverbal communications.
8. During each deployment, the TERT team leader is responsible for which of the following response components?
A. Providing all hygiene-related/personal care items to each team member.
B. Handling all currency transactions for each team member.
C. Handling all deployment documentation requirements for each team member.
D. Assessing each team members' mental and physical abilities prior to deployment.
9. Which of the following conditions may result from deploying or entering a disaster area without authorization?
A. You will have an easier time accessing communication centers.
B. You will be automatically eligible for workman's compensation.
C. You will likely be arrested for trespassing.
D. You will unnecessarily complicate a response effort.
10. When a disaster strikes and a Public Safety Answering Point (PSAP) determines outside assistance is necessary, the PSAP will identify the specific needs and make a formal request through which of the following channels?
A. Federal and national channels
B. Local and State channels
C. Local and federal channels
D. State and Federal channels
11. The TERT deployment process is highly dependent on effective and direct communication between multiple local, State, and Federal agencies.
12. Which of the following factors does NOT impact the working conditions in a disaster area?
A. Length of time that has passed since the disaster.
B. Type of disaster.
C. Magnitude of the emergency response effort.
D. A State TERT organization's deployment process.
13. Which of the following items are you required to pack for deployment?
A. Credit/ATM Cards
B. Two forms of identification
C. Walkie Talkies
D. Games and puzzles (for down time)
14. Once deployed, you can typically rely on internet service in the disaster area so that you can take care of personal business such as communication, bill paying and banking requirements.
15. You will be able to communicate with family members regularly while in a disaster area.
16. When packing for deployment, it is recommended that you pack only what is necessary and what you are capable of carrying.
17. Which of the following barriers is NOT a fundamental characteristic of working in a medium to large-scale disaster area?
A. Chain-of-command conflicts
B. Sleeping conditions
C. Mass casualty incidents
D. High stress calls
18. It is federally mandated that all TERT team members become thoroughly familiar with the National Joint TERT Initiative (NJTI) APCO/NENA ANSI Standard for TERT Deployment document.
19. When you are deployed to a disaster area, you may face resentment from resident telecommunicators.
20. An emergency kit requires how many gallons of water per day for each person?
A. 1 ' gallons
B. ' gallon
C. 2 gallons
D. 1 gallon
Find more answers here: FEMA Test Answers