FEMA IS 162: Hazard Mitigation Floodplain Management in Disaster Operations Answers
1. HM Floodplain Management provides a wide variety of critical services that are used by state and tribal officials, but is forbidden to provide services to local authorities.
2. HM Floodplain Management staff promotes and disseminates NFIP information to both internal and external entities.
3. Protection of wetlands is the exclusive responsibility of local government as noted in in 44 CFR Parts 1, 2, and 3
4. The policies and procedures for Federal floodplain management are found in 44 CFR
5. A key function of the Hazard Mitigation (HM) Floodplain Management Staff is:
A. Promote floodplain management
B. Provide technical assistance on floodplain management regulations
C. Promote and disseminate NFIP information
D. All of the above
6. An important function of HM Floodplain Management is to promote sound floodplain management during disaster recovery, communicating flood risk and encouraging and assisting communities to adopt flood damage prevention ordinances that exceed NFIP requirements.
7. The National Flood Insurance Act (1968) created the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) making flood insurance available to communities that adopt and enforce floodplain management regulations.
8. Which of the following are recommended resources for HM Floodplain Management?
A. HM Disaster Workforce Website
B. HM Field Operations Guide
C. Mitigation Best Practices
D. NFIP Community Status Book
E. All of the above
9. In large flood disasters, interaction and collaboration with Hazard Mitigation co-workers, other JFO organizations, state and tribal governments, and local governments may be complex.
10. Which of the following are critical services provided by HM Floodplain Management to state, tribes, local community officials, individuals, and JFO partners?
A. Providing Flood Zone Determinations
B. Providing Base Flood Elevation Determinations
C. Inputting current information into the FEMA Community Information Systems (CIS) database
D. Providing technical assistance on methods for gathering damage information and for calculating damages to support substantial damage determinations
E. All of the above
11. HM Floodplain Management staff provide guidance to internal and external partners regarding the NFIP’s floodplain management regulations that support the Hazard Mitigation Strategy.
12. The Federal statute that was intended to reduce the number of repetitive NFIP claims while also reducing flood losses and costsassociated with insurance claims is the
A. National Flood Insurance Reform Act, 1994
B. National Flood Insurance Act, 1968
C. Flood Disaster Protection Act, 1973
D. National Flood Insurance Reform Act, 2004
13. Collaboration is essential to the success of which of the following HM Floodplain Management responsibilities?
A. Serving as the JFO point of coordination and as the resource on all floodplain management functions
B. Promoting community participation in the NFIP
C. Promote compliance with NFIP floodplain management regulations during disaster response and recovery
D. Providing floodplain management information to local, state, tribal, and JFO partners
E. All of the above
14. Which of the following made the purchase of flood insurance mandatory for the protection of properties located in Special Flood Hazard Areas?
A. Flood Disaster Protection Act, 1973
B. Executive Orders 11988 and 11990
C. Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act, 2012
D. Homeowners Flood Insurance Affordability Act 2014
15. Trust is essential to accomplishing FEMA’s mission and to meeting the goals of Hazard Mitigation.
16. According to Executive Orders 11988 and 11990, Federal agencies must:
A. Avoid actions that adversely impact floodplains and wetlands
B. Follow an 8-step process to encourage floodplain development
C. Encourage filling wetlands wherever possible
D. Implement the floodplain action before announcing it to the public