IS-241.a: Decision Making and Problem Solving
1. Ethics includes all of the following concepts except:
A. Respect for others
2. The bias in the thinking function is toward:
3. All of the following are at stake in making an ethical decision except:
A. Your personal reputation
B. The public's trust in local government
C. An effective outcome
D. Your organization's reputation
4. Which of the following shows a flexible decision-making approach?
A. Calling in an outside mediator
B. Suspending judgment to see the points of view of others
C. Forcing parties in a conflict to relinquish authority
D. Sticking to your own dominant decision-making style
5. Step 5, Evaluate the Situation, involves which one of the following sub-steps?
A. Evaluating alternatives
B. Delineating problem parameters
C. Generating alternatives
D. Monitoring progress
6. In the personality profile you took online, which is one set of functions considered for decision-making style?
A. Sensing or evaluating
B. Judging or perceiving
C. Thinking or feeling
D. Extraversion or introversion
7. Decision making should begin before an emergency for all of the following reasons except:
A. To obtain buy-in from stakeholders
B. Stress factors
C. To establish line of responsibility
D. Time pressure
8. People take in information by:
A. Thinking or feeling
B. Sensing or intuition
9. If limited time is a factor in decision making, it is preferable to have a/an _________ make the decision.
10. The third step in the problem-solving model is:
A. Select an alternative.
B. Evaluate the situation.
C. Implement the solution.
D. Explore alternatives.
11. Which is an attribute of an effective decision maker who seeks pertinent data? They avoid getting bogged down by extraneous facts and figures.
12. Criteria for evaluating alternative solutions includes all of the following except:
13. Which of the following pre-disaster decision information would not be included in an Emergency Operations Plan?
A. Amount of donated goods
B. Evacuation routes
C. Locations for mass care shelters
D. Who is responsible for what (organization)
14. Which is an attribute of an effective decision maker who knows their own abilities, biases, and limitations?
C. Good judgment
15. Which of the following is not an impediment to decision making in a crisis?
A. Conflicting political agendas
B. Perceived or real time pressure
C. An action plan
D. Lack of information
16. Allowing citizens to shelter in place during a major hurricane creates:
17. All of the following statements are true about a consensus decision except:
A. Win/lose techniques such as voting are used to achieve a decision.
B. Everyone feels that he or she was listened to.
C. Everyone supports the decision.
D. Every group member's view is considered.
18. One cause of 'groupthink' is:
A. Lack of power
C. Pressure toward conformity
D. Genuine consensus
19. Another name for ethical competency is:
20. Which is an attribute of an effective decision maker who assumes responsibility for beginning the decision-making process and seeing it through? They take an active part in making things better.
21. Decision making is best done _______________ an emergency.
22. Which is an attribute of an effective decision maker whose sound decisions will not always result from merely following procedures? These decision makers must weigh factors particular to the situation
A. Good judgment
23. The critical first outcome in the problem-solving process is:
A. A definition of the scope of the issue.
B. A clearly identified problem statement.
C. A challenge that embodies an undesirable situation.
D. A well-analyzed solution.
24. Which is an attribute of an effective decision maker who considers current conditions and takes advantage of opportunities that exist at the time?
C. Good judgment
25. The intuition function asks which question when making a decision?
A. 'How does this decision affect those involved?'
B. 'What are the patterns and possible interpretations?'
C. 'What are the pros and cons, causes and effects?'
D. 'What are the facts, costs, and benefits?'
Find answers to the other FEMA Professional Development Series here: FEMA PDS