FEMA IS 247.A: Integrated Public Alert and Warning System (IPAWS) Answers
1. Which of the following protocols are used to format digital messages for IPAWS?
A. Internet Protocol
B. Simple Mail Transfer Protocol
C. Common Alerting Protocol
D. Transmission Control Protocol
2. Which of the following is a style element that should be avoided when writing accessible and usable alert and warning messages?
A. Using technical terminology/jargon.
B. Using common words that can easily be understood.
C. Being specific about what is or is not known about the hazard.
D. Not overstating or understating the facts.
3. When creating an accessible IPAWS alert message that includes an image of the affected area, the alert initiator should _____________________ to make the message accessible to persons with access and functional needs.
A. keep the image size below 5 bytes
B. only use black and white colors
C. use as many colors as possible
D. provide ample text description explaining the image
4. Is the following statement true or false? When different people listen to the same warning message, they may interpret and respond to it differently.
5. The ______________ receives Common Alerting Protocol alert messages from various message origination/authoring tools.
A. Commercial Mobile Alert System
B. Alert Aggregator
C. Emergency Management Office
D. American public
6. Which of the following is not a field used by alert authoring software to reflect "Imminent Threat" messaging criteria?
7. Vague and inconsistent warning information jeopardizes people at risk by causing them to ______________.
A. evacuate to a safe location
B. take no action
C. evacuate in a timely manner
D. take appropriate protective action
8. Is the following statement true or false? CAP message content can be delivered via radio, television, cell phone, and over the Internet.
9. The Common Alerting Protocol is ________ data format standard for exchanging public warnings between alerting technologies.
A. XML based
B. short message service Based
C. RSS based
D. text based
10. Is the following statement true or false? IPAWS alerts do not have the capability of carrying audio and video.
11. Is the following statement true or false? People usually panic in response to warnings.
12. Which of the following is not a valid value for the 'Certainty' CAP data element?
13. Why is the message below a bad warning message? "50 percent chance of flash flooding. People in Alexandria should consider evacuating."
A. This message does not indicate the type of hazard.
B. This message does not indicate the area of occurrence of the hazard.
C. This message lacks certainty which may not motivate action.
D. This message does not indicate the probability of occurrence of the hazard.
14. ______________ messages are issued for those events that by themselves would not kill or injure or do property damage but indirectly may cause other things to happen that result in a hazard.
15. Is the following statement true or false? Designated Alerting Authorities at the Federal, State, Local, Tribal, and Territorial levels may be authorized to send IPAWS alert and warning messages.
16. In response to a warning message, if people's perception of personal risk is high, they will ________.
A. discard the warning message
B. delay acting
C. take no action
D. act quickly
17. For the following CMAS message, identify the part of the message derived from an instruction specific event code: 'Shelter in Place Warning in this area until 9:30 AM. Take shelter now.'
A. In this area
B. Shelter in Place Warning
C. until 9:30 AM
D. Take shelter now
18. Is the following statement true or false? The event expiration time (using the local time zone) is always specified in a CMAS 'Imminent Threat' message.
19. A Collaborative Operating Group (COG) is a term used by IPAWS to designate an organization that is responsible for __________________.
A. Presidential alerting
B. classifying geological hazards
C. establishing technical standards for the Emergency Alert System
D. coordinating emergency management/incident response activities and public alerting
20. Which of the following is a valid value for the 'Severity' CAP data element?
21. Is the following statement true or false? IPAWS allows authorized users to issue location specific emergency alerts.
22. Which of the following systems will enable the American public to receive emergency alert messages on their cell phones?
B. HAZCOLLECT system
C. Commercial Mobile Alert System (CMAS)/Wireless Emergency Alerts (WEA)
D. Emergency Alert System
23. Is the following statement true or false? People usually do not understand what the sounding of various siren signals mean.
24. Which of these features of IPAWS alerts allow the messages to survive when other channels of communication fail?
B. Standardized messaging format
C. Rich content
Find more answers here: FEMA Test Answers