This course covers basic information about the role of a State or local Public Information Officer. The goal of this awareness course is to provide an orientation to the public information function and the role of the Public Information Officer (PIO) in the public safety/emergency management environment.
The topics addressed in this course include:
- Understanding the PIO role.
- Using tools and resources.
- Communicating effectively.
- Preparing the community.
- Communicating in an incident.
Upon completing this course, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the role and function of the Public Information Officer (PIO).
- Describe the target audiences for the PIO.
- List the skills needed to be an effective PIO.
- Describe traditional media available for communication.
- Describe evolving media tools for communication.
- Describe how to effectively communicate orally and through written products.
- Describe how to have a successful relationship with the news media.
- Define a public awareness campaign.
- Describe how to develop and execute a public awareness campaign.
- Describe the role of the PIO in an emergency.
- Describe how to manage the news media at the scene of an incident.
This course is designed for new or less experienced State or local Public Information Officers (PIOs) or those who have this role as a secondary function.