FEMA IS 37: Managerial Safety and Health Answers
1. Which one of the following choices lists the best resources that managers, supervisors, and designated management representatives should use to ensure that the organization has an effective safety and health program?
A. Section 19 of the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970
B. The Disaster Safety Officer and The Safety, Health, and Medical Readiness Division
C. The Office of Chief Counsel and the Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs
D. The OSHA Standards found in 29 CFR and the Occupational Safety and Health Program Manual
2. Which one of the following choices describes the correct procedure to follow when an OSHA Compliance Safety and Health Officer arrives at a FEMA facility?
A. Immediately notify the jobsite/facilities senior manager and the safety official.
B. Notify Safety, Health, and Medical Readiness Division management within 24 hours.
C. Notify the jobsite/facilities senior manager and safety official within 24 hours.
D. Notify Safety, Health, and Medical Readiness Division management within seven business days.
3. Which one of the following is NOT a responsibility of the Disaster Safety Officer?
A. Provide safety and health training to all contractors working at the disaster site.
B. Evaluate compliance with Occupational Safety and Health standards/regulations and policies.
C. Serve as the local technical advisor/subject matter expert on safety and health matters.
D. Identify and coordinate abatement of hazards that may be encountered at a disaster or exercise site.
4. Which one of the following choices lists the employees whose safety and health are the responsibility of the Federal Coordinating Officer?
A. Only full-time FEMA employees working at the site
B. All FEMA employees at the site, including full-time, part-time, CORE, and reservists
C. All employees at the site, including reservists and contractors
D. All FEMA employees at the site except members of the Occupational Safety and Health Disaster Cadre
5. Which one of the following is NOT a requirement of all FEMA managers, supervisors, and management representatives?
A. Provide employees with a workplace free from recognized hazards
B. Comply with the occupational safety and health standards applicable to FEMA operations
C. Serve as the local technical advisor/subject matter expert on safety and health matters
D. Comply with all FEMA rules, policies, and procedures to protect employees from recognized hazards
6. Which one of the following statements is FALSE?
A. OSHA conducts periodic inspections of Federal work sites.
B. OSHA compliance inspections may be initiated by employee complaints.
C. OSHA compliance inspections are sometimes unannounced.
D. OSHA is required to notify managers and safety officials prior to inspections.
7. Which one of the following injuries is NOT recordable?
A. An accident caused by contractor operations resulting in the injury of a FEMA employee and lost time
B. Electric shock resulting in hospitalization of an employee and prescribed time off work
C. Loss of consciousness while working at a disaster site due to heat stress
D. Chemical exposure for which a medical examination was done for surveillance purposes only
8. What is the purpose of GSA Form SF-91?
A. To report any injury or illness that has occurred in the workplace.
B. To report a motor vehicle accident, regardless of who was at fault.
C. To report a traumatic injury that has occurred in the workplace.
D. To report a motor vehicle accident only if a Government employee is at fault.
9. Which statement best describes the primary aim of the POWER Initiative?
A. To establish a new system for reporting unsafe and unhealthy working conditions
B. To improve workplace safety and health and reduce occupational injuries and illnesses
C. To provide orientation and training about occupational safety and health programs
D. To empower the Disaster Safety Officer to be the sole manager of all aspects of safety and health
10. Which FEMA division serves as FEMA’s principal subject matter expert and advisor in all aspects of occupational safety and health?
A. Occupational Safety, Health and Environment (OSHE)
B. Office of Employee Safety and Health (OESH)
C. Occupational Safety and Health (OSH)
D. Safety, Health and Medical Readiness (SHMR)
Find answers to the next exam here: FEMA IS-42: Social Media in Emergency Management Answers