FEMA IS-872.A: Dams Sector: Protective Measures Course Overview
This course has been developed by the DHS Dams Sector and is being hosted by EMI. All questions or comments about this course should be directed to the following email address: [email protected]
Dams Sector: Protective Measures is the third course in the Dams Sector Web-based training series. The purpose of this series of courses is to provide owners and operators with information pertaining to security awareness, protective measures, and crisis management.
This course provides owners and operators with information regarding protective programs used to reduce and manage risk within the Dams Sector.
IMPORTANT NOTE: This course is designated as FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY (FOUO) because it contains sensitive but unclassified information. The HSIN-CI Dams Portal serves as the primary mechanism with which dam and levee stakeholders exchange information, both at the For Official Use Only and non-sensitive levels, during steady-state operations. The portal, managed by the Dams Sector-Specific Agency within the Office of Infrastructure Protection / U.S. Department of Homeland Security, promotes effective information collection and dissemination among sector partners in Federal, State, and local agencies, as well as the private sector. The portal provides trusted and vetted public and private representatives, including owners and operators, access to a number of resources, including training courses. HSIN-CS Dams Portal Fact SheetYou:
- Must complete the course within the Homeland Security Information Network-Critical Infrastructure(HSIN-CI) Dams Portal. Those who do not currently have access to the HSIN-CI Dams Portal must complete the HSIN-CI Dams Portal Access Request Formand submit directly to the Dams Sector-Specific Agency via [email protected] to request and be considered for access to the training course.
- Will return to this page to complete the final exam in order to receive credit. You may want to bookmark this page so that you can easily return to this page when you are ready to take the exam.
Course Access Instructions
- Go to https://hsin.dhs.gov/ci/home and enter your user name and password, and then click on the Log In button.
- Next, click on the Dams link in the list of HSIN-CI Communities on the left side of the screen.
- Once inside the Dams Sector Portal, click on the Training icon.
Next, click on the link to the “IS-872 Dams Sector: Protective Measures (FOUO)” course in the list of Web-based training modules.
At the end of this course, the participants will be able to:
- Describe the mission and partners of the Dams Sector.
- Describe the steps for establishing a protective program.
- Identify the elements of the risk management model.
- Describe strategies for reducing risk.
- Identify the general categories of protective measures.
- Describe how protective measures relate to threat levels.
- Select potential protective measures to address a threat when given a scenario.
Dams Sector stakeholders, including owners and operators, with emphasis on those seeking the fundamentals of the protective measure elements of a risk management program. Note: This course is designated For Official Use Only.
It is recommended that course participants complete the IS-870 Dams Sector: Crisis Management course and IS-871.a, Dams Sector: Security Awareness prior to completing this course. The IS-870 course is available through EMI at the following link: http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is870.asp