FEMA IS 914: Surveillance Awareness: What You Can Do Answers
1. How does practicing your observation skills improve your ability to detect and report adversarial surveillance?
A. You will improve your distance vision.
B. You will have a better idea of what is normal or unusual for your environment.
C. You will enhance your ability to confront personnel engaged in surveillance activities.
D. You will gain an enhanced understanding of reporting procedures for your organization.
2. TRUE OR FALSE: The process of taking notes about security and security routines is an example of an adversarial surveillance activity.
3. Complete the statement: The three simple actions that you can take to help prevent terrorism and criminal activities include the following, EXCEPT FOR
A. Ignore surveillance.
B. Report surveillance.
C. Understand surveillance.
D. Detect surveillance.
4. Complete the statement: Surveillance-related activities can be detected because they often will
A. Take place in a single visit.
B. Appear unusual and out of place.
C. Be conducted at night.
D. Occur when a facility is closed.
5. You can improve your ability to detect and report surveillance by doing all of the following EXCEPT FOR
A. Writing down the details about suspected surveillance activities.
B. Identifying what is unusual and suspicious about observed potential surveillance activities.
C. Practicing observation skills.
D. Confiscating notes and equipment from suspicious persons.
6. Complete the statement: Adversarial surveillance is conducted to gather information in order to
A. Document the surveillance conducted by potential adversaries.
B. Commit an act of terrorism or other crime.
C. Conduct an investigation of a criminal activity.
D. Assess the risk of potential acts of terrorism or other crimes.
7. Complete the statement: Adversarial surveillance is conducted to identify the following types of information, EXCEPT FOR
A. Possible avenues of approach.
B. Business performance.
C. Security weaknesses.
D. Routine security activities.
8. Fill in the blank: Terrorists tend to engage in __________________________ in advance of a planned attack.
A. No acquisition activities.
B. Communications strategies.
C. Planning activities, including surveillance.
D. Significant change management activities
9. Which of the following is an example of a failure to adopt the appropriate “character” during surveillance?
A. An unknown person claiming to be a maintenance worker who has no tools or equipment and is dressed inappropriately.
B. An unknown person claiming to be a courier who has a clipboard and large padded envelope.
C. An unknown person claiming to be a cleaning service employee who is pushing a wheeled trash bin and wearing casual clothing.
D. An unknown person claiming to be attending an office meeting who is wearing a business suit and has a briefcase.
10. Complete the statement. In addition to reporting details about the people or vehicles involved, you should include in your report information that identifies
A. Security procedures for your organization regarding reporting.
B. In what ways the situation was unusual and suspicious.
C. An assessment of the specific threat to the target of the surveillance.
D. The response from the persons involved when confronted or questioned.
11. TRUE OR FALSE: Individuals involved in surveillance prior to a terrorist attack are always well-trained and equipped.
12. Complete the statement: The behavior and actions of persons who are not well trained and conducting surveillance often appears to be ____________.
D. Normal and routine.
13. Complete the statement: Adversarial surveillance is conducted to gather information in preparation for the following actions, EXCEPT FOR
B. Crimes against individuals.
C. Risk fusion.
D. Domestic or international terrorism.
14. TRUE OR FALSE: Observation of security responses to one or more attempts to gain unauthorized access is an example of an adversarial surveillance activity.
15. Complete the statement: The ability to detect surveillance activities is improved when
A. Surveillance takes place over a long period of time and involves repeated visits.
B. Surveillance is conducted using sophisticated surveillance equipment.
C. Surveillance is conducted by trained personnel.
D. Surveillance involves videography by professional film crews.